Re: Foils Layup and Skiff Chat

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Foils Layup and Skiff Chat
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:11:53 -0400
Bill, Since you have at least one layer of hybrid on the foils I think you will
be OK to complete the foils with carbon. Look for Brams PDF coming out soon and
follow the finishing instructions for that. He has a nifty way to make these
cored boards. Do keep the material compressed as much as you can. It helps to
make the layup in one operation for that reason. The boards are designed for a
skin around 1/6th inch thick. If you put on too thick a skin you will find it
is a very close fit in your CB case. As always make sure the blocks transfer
the load to the skins and dont allow the board to move enough to share the load
on the inner face of the CB case. You dont want to rupture the join to the CB
case and hull.

Those building that part should make sure they do a neat job with that joinery.

Keith has asked to shift the SkiffChat to a later slot tonight. We can try (for
those that are time challenged) 8pm Eastern, 7PM Central, 6PM Mountain,  5PM
Pacific.  I hope I have fixed what dumped us off last time.

I have a few suggestions on how to deal with the fuzz that shows up when you
have to sand the edges of hybrid. We can discuss that at the SkiffChat this
evening. Bram will have some recent experience with the "Foil Layup Techniques"
he has been trying. Ask your questions there, get answers in real time.

Greg