rudder cores

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: rudder cores
From: "Roger Wright" <rowr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:39:28 -0600
I discovered today that my super light rudder blade cannot handle 20 knots!!!

I was having a great sail with winds gusting around 15 to 20, (waaaay overpowered on 20 knots :) survival mode), I was trying to hold it all together without being seriously dumped, or thrown over the sail, when I heard this ominous craaack. I thought that I had ripped the tiller out of the transom by the way the boat reacted, but once I dug my mast out the mud and got back on- board, I found that my beautiful carbon rudder had snapped clean through at the bottom of the box.

I think that I used 2 s-glass, 1 kevlar and 2 carbon for this blade, making it super light. Upon inspection, I could also see the foam running right to the end of the carbon trailing edge, which means I did not have a really good bond on the trailing edge.

A few learning points here,
1. Maybe a little heavier lay-up for safety
2. Make sure that you have a carbon on carbon seam with a good bead of epoxy running the full length of the trailing edge on the inside.
3. Check the edges of your tiller box casing to make sure there are no point loads when using carbon blades.

Oh, and another thing, that thin shock cord on the trapeze wires does'nt stop you from hurtling right around the forestay on the wire while doing a really fast unintentional jibe downwind in 18 knots :)

happy sailing,
Mike, I am really glad this did not happen offshore at Jericho

Roger