Re: Cleaning up the inside of the Hull

To: drrld@xxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Cleaning up the inside of the Hull
From: WFS03@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:23:45 EDT
Rob,
You received a great advice regarding the clean-up of the glue, etc., but I
want to comment on your reference to the Scottish carpenter who was a caretaker
on the Coronet (correct spelling).  The schooner Coronet was built in the
1880's by the C&R Poillon yard in Brooklyn, NY.  The Coronet is undergoing
restoration at the International Yacht Restoration School in Newport, RI
(www.iyrs.org), where Tom Owen and Felix Schliebitz were apprentices.  Both had
a part in
doing some of the initial work to prepare the yacht for haul out.  The
schooner had many owners, one being Arthur Curtis James of NYC and Newport, RI.
 Mr.
James employed my wife's grandfather as the farm manager at the James Estate
in Newport.  Mr. James used the schooner for travel between NYC and Newport,
as well as around the world.  It would be interesting to know whether your
Scottish carpenter acquaintance had his connection to the Coronet during Mr.
James' lifetime.  I believe that Mr. James sold the Coronet prior to 1900, so
it is
doubtful that his work on the Coronet was during the period that Mr. James
sailed her.  It is great to see craft of this heritage preserved.

Bill Scheumann
USA020 and USA040