Re: Bubbles in S-Glass layup

To: Steve Nichols <nic173@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Bubbles in S-Glass layup
From: Christian Rasmussen <Christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:39:52 -0400
Cc: Swiftsolo <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
You are not alone in this. I went through it and it can be very frustrating to get some of the tiny
bubbles out of the sglass. In fact I have seen S-glass advetised with a note warning that it
should not be used for cosmetic areas due to the tight knits. Unless you have a lot of dime size
bubbles I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to redo, then sand it off and try again. BTW, you can
also use hybrid on the inside of the transom. Rules do not prohibit this.

Some things that will help.

- Make sure the resin viscosity is high. This means that the room/resin should be warm
when applying it and while it cures. There is big different between the 65 and 85 degrees. I did
mine in the winter, so it added to my frustrations.

2. A roller can be pretty good, but the small bubbles has to be squeegeed out. And make sure you stay with it.
the cedar is really bad at outgassing late in the curing stage. To that effect make sure that you have "coated"
the wood with resin prior to doing the glass. But you dont want to coat it so much that you add a lot of weight. Greg Ryan has a patent pending technique he calls "on-off" which I am sure he has described somewhere in the archives.

Rumors are, he copied it from a scene in the movie "Karate Kid" :)

Christian

- Make sure its warm wher

Steve Nichols wrote:

I made my first major mistake during construction last night. Holy ..... that s-glass is hard to wet out. This was my first go with s-glass on the inside of the transom and I was maybe a little casual as I had no problems with the hybrid when doing the bulkheads. I think I applied too much resin at once as I couldn't get rid of all the bubbles with the squeegee before the resin had gone off slightly which made it impossible to do.

Do I need to ditch this piece and start again? The bubbles won't be visible as it is the inside of the transom but have I compromised the strength too much doing this?

Any tips to prevent a repeat performance?

Cheers

Steve