new members, boat shows, group builds

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: new members, boat shows, group builds
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:51:27 EDT

Sept 21,  2005
New Members
Welcome to our two new  members from New Jersey-- Al Pritchard and Dave
Slevin.  These two Swift builders will be sailing  out of Sandy  Hook with our
Pres, Greg.  As always, Greg knows how to make things  happen and Al and Dave
will
benefit from his experience.  We have now reached the 70 boat  milestone.
Boat shows:
The boat shows seemed very  successful (only time will tell for sure).  Mike
Jocelyn came down from Canada to help me at the Wooden  Boat show and we had a
great time.  I don't know how to thank Mike properly.  He's one of those guys
who can  anticipate what needs to happen and get it done before you have a
chance to ask  him.  You couldn't find better help  at any price and Mike
donated his time to the class.
Demonstration sailing the  Swift right behind our booth was a big hit
followed by dry land hoisting and  dousing the kite.  We always  attracted big
crowds
with the kite and word of this âmagic actâ got around the  show quickly.
Trouble was that they  all wanted to know how they could adapt it to their
Leadmine 45âs.  It seems that they wanted to eliminate  one or two crew
members.
When we  would finish the kite thing and demonstrate our sheeting system their
eyes would  glaze over with dreams of single handing their boats.  Hopefully,
some of these guys will  eventually do the math and the bell will  ring.
We owe a lot to Carl Sutter  from Fisheries Supply (owner) for providing the
space at the Boats Afloat Show  is Seattle.  Our spot was right in the middle
of the  busiest part of the show and adjacent to their booth.  Carl is a big
fan and promoter of the  Swift Solo I canât think of anyone who does more for
around the buoys racing  than Carl.  He and his crew see the  Swift in action
on Thursdays nights (he races his Etchels) and never fails  to share exciting
observations with other  sailors.
Class stuff:
Good things are happening  to our class.  It seems that growth  always takes
longer than I anticipate but the thing that has become apparent is  the level
of commitment of our people.  Building the foundation of our class around
sailors who have, for the  most part, built their own boats was a brilliant
accident.  In the end, it may be even more  important than the design of the
Swift.
In addition to our two  newest members teaming up to build their boats
together, plans are underway by  four or five Seattle sailors to start a group
build of Swifts.  One of the biggest  benefits of this kind of effort is the
synergy of a larger skill pool and the  knowledge that others will be ready to
race
in your club when youâre done.  Sailors who donât have facilities
available
(a garage), can team up and rent space to build their boats more  reasonably.
If you are thinking about getting a group of Swift  builders together at your
club, let me know.  We can help you get some concessions and  rebates that
will offset some of your costs.