Re: hoist

To: Aikisu@xxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: hoist
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:13:45 -0700
I had a bridle for my 505 that would hook to the chainplate for the side stays and then in the metal strap my hiking strap connected to. I would prefer this to the "lead mines" single hook on the keel bolt. My reason is that there is not a keel to keep the boat level and steady. Your rig might get caught up in the hoist. I would use a bridle and make it so that the balance point is aft of CE so that the boat tilts bow down. This will make the hoist steadier and your rig will point away from the blocks and cable.

You could knock one of these up in a few minutes with the extra lightning line a ring and three hooks. If block for your shock cord is well backed, you could anchor there and at the shrouds. Lengthen/shorten the aft line until the boat balances bow down. To do a single point lift, you would want to put something into the center toe rail and the boat would have a tendency to tip over when you lift it. Since you are single-handing and launching, you will want to make the ring for the lifting hook be high enough that the boat will naturally right itself.

Sorry I don't have any pictures for you to look at but I'm sure someone will have something.