Re: hoist

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: hoist
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:04:08 -0500
Ken Dinghies are usually launched into a quiet lagoon, mast up, with a sling
that goes under the hull. Then paddled to the dock for final rigging. When you
done put the sling in the pocket of the spinn sock or chuck it onto a floating
dock where you can get to it later.

You gotta remember a 30 ft yacht has a power to weigth ratio only a small
fraction that of a skiff,  and the 800 to 2000lb weight is about 6-8feet under
the hull, providing plenty of stability. 30 ft yachts, or any yacht, in my
experience NEVER do this with sails up, that is why they have motors, deck and
mast winches and multiple halyards for their sails. If you see this being done
to a yacht in your area send me a picture Ill post it somewhere. If you get an
after picture that would be even better.
I would volunteer to watch you do this with your swift though:-).

My advice is to find a dinghy club with a dock or beach launch for dinghies and
a bunch of awed dinghy sailors to help you get started. Ask them for advice on
how they do it, local knowledge is paramount.
Greg