Re: Building Swift Solos in Mid Jersey

To: <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Building Swift Solos in Mid Jersey
From: "Robert Kinsman" <RobertKi@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:21:00 -0500
Greg/all;

Is there a specific benefit to the home-made dual mainsheet cleat plate
compared to a part like RF62175 (Ronstan/Frederickson 60mm pivoting low lead
ratchet w/ cam)?  I do think the dual cleat platform is fantastic, but
wondering if anyone has had experience with the 1 cleat alternative.

Just as an observer, the current arrangement requires the mainsheet to be
uncleated during the tack (potential for a dropped sheet, over-eased out of
the tack, or poor trim while getting hooked up).  On the other hand, as a
non-skiff sailor currently I think I might be underestimating the need to have
the sheet uncleated during the tack.

The benefit I could see would be the ability to set a "tacking" trim maybe an
inch or two eased, fly from wire to wire during a tack and accelerate hard,
and then commence trimming once hooked up and moving along.  No worries
because the sheet is cleated and the cleat is going to move towards you once
you pull any tension on it (no "slip" as the sheet is pull the wrong way out
of the cleat from the opposite side of the boom? No need to worry about
uncleating or recleating during the tack?)

PS, bonus check is definitely buying a couple more power tools in early 06 so
that by the end of the year I can start tuning up a shop to build another one
of these devils in RI.

Bob Kinsman
J24 4255 Dogfish

>>> Greg Ryan 10/24/05 05:55PM >>>
FYI
Al is doing a great job keeping us up to date with his Swift building
activities. Those of you who are interested can follow David and Al's progress
in building their tandem Swift Solos in NJ at the NYC Skiff League's online
forum at web address http://nycskiffsorg/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11

These guys have lucked out in a dream space for dinghy building. If you are in
mid Jersey and need space to build talk to David or Al in the spring.

Greg