Re: Building Swift Solos in Mid Jersey

To: RobertKi@xxxxxxxx, gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Building Swift Solos in Mid Jersey
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:51:28 EST
Bob,

Good question.

Actually, your suggested method is the one that I used originally.   There
are a couple of reasons why it was abandoned.

The most important reason has to do with the bear away at the weather mark
and rounding up at the leeward mark (understand that we always leave the sheet
cleated during tacks and that the end of the sheet is attached to our harness
 with Velcro).  When you arrived at the weather mark it is critical that you
move far aft before you initiate the bear away if it is blowing more that
15.  If the cleat is facing forward (impossible to play it if it is not),  you
will not be able to uncleat it to initiate this maneuver.  You have the  same
problem (but opposite) at the leeward mark.

The second problem it that you will be continually hitting the sheet on the
shrouds playing it to weather unless you have it adjusted so that you have to
sail from too far aft.

With the cleat platform, you will need to tinker a bit to get it just  right.
 Once you do, you'll never even think about it again (assuming your  vang
keeps the boom from rocking).

I hope this helps.