Re: Mast Base

To: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Keith Councell" <keithcouncell@xxxxxxxxx>, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Mast Base
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:01:28 -0700
I have one somewhere I did not use. Send me your address and I'll send it to you.

Robert, Fugu

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:56:38 -0700, Greg Ryan <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Keith, I have heard of a couple of other cases of the mast base tennon breaking away from the bottom of the mast base cup. I think this kind of problem is most likely caused by a couple of things. First if the bottom of the tennon is not curved then as the mast is raked the aft end of the tennon will take all the compression load, and the leverage will stress the tennon cup joint. Secondly if the aft hole in the tennon, through which it is pinned, is not the right size to allow some movement the tennon could be likewise suspended aft of the mast and stress the joint. If the bearing surface of the tennon is under the mast then I doubt you would have a problem, the shearing forces would be minimal. Perhaps you could investigate this reglue what you have and shape the tennon so that it doesn't happen again.

Alternatively, you could make another mast base fitting fairly easily using a 2 1/4 inch circular mandrill and a flat sheet of carbon s-glass The instructions are in the manual and are straight forward, its an easy piece to make. In case you really don't want to make one, NYC Skiffs makes mast base plugs and I can send you one to replace yours before the regatta. I do not have any in stock now but I could make a few within a couple of weeks. Presently I am making another "urgent" batch of forestay fittings to help people who are people going to Florida. If you need one of these or any other NYCSkiffs fittings (mast step, Tiller/throat/rudder /cb/ spreader cores) then please think ahead, and let me know when you are going to need it so that I can plan, keep costs low, and there is less delay for you.
Greg