Re: Fair lines for the black trim

To: warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Fair lines for the black trim
From: WFS03@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:15:16 EDT
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 4/11/06 7:08:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hey Bill, thanks for all the suggestions.

How did you ensure that the blue line (the edge between wood and blue) is
very fair?  Use the fairing tape others have suggested?

I have another question for you -- how did you attach the two rudder
gudgeons to the transom and transom bar?  I think that's tonight's  project...

Thanks for all your help.

Warren

Warren,
The pin-striping tape is probably the way to go, but I just carefully
measured the size of the trim that I wanted to use along the gunwale and
sighted
the tape down the hull as I followed the measured marks.

Below are a couple of pictures of the transom on USA020.  I used a  backing
plate inside the hull epoxied against the transom with 1/4"-#20  t-nuts.  I
have also used 1/4"-#20 t-nuts on the transom bar with  appropriately sized
1/4"-#20 s/s bolts, 2-1/2" on upper gudgeon, 2" bolts on the  lower.  My
chainplates are backed with 1/4" aluminum plates with 1/4"-#20  carriage bolts
fitted
thru square holes in the plates.  The  aluminum plates are bonded to wooden
wedges that are shaped to the hull  curvature.  I am planning to use 1/4" nuts
and
lock washers to attach the  chain plate gudgeons to the deck wings.

Bill Scheumann
USA020 and USA040

JPEG image

JPEG image