Re: Starter questions

To: jordan.afe@xxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Starter questions
From: Aikisu@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 04:52:22 EDT
Hi Jordan,

Let me first say I'm no wood master. I did rip my own strips from 4x4x16
Around some parts of the hull you may get away with 1 1/4 wide.A 1/16 variant
is allowed in thickness.If your swift is found to be underweight lead
adjustors will be placed prior to racing overweight is ok.I found ripping
strips to
have variations in thichness due mainly to feed error.Having the edges of your
planks planed prior to ripping got me more uniform strips.  It is recommended
for ease of building especially around the chine and gunwale you use 3/4
wide.You begin to lose accuracy  as in separation away from the station forms
especially  towards the bow with wider strips, hence the use of screws with
washers.The use of wider strips will only compound the difficulty of the slight
twist
in the rwc required to round the shape of the hull forms. Smaller tighter
strips in these curved areas are stronger if smaller.
In the straight aways it can save some time.

Hope that helps
Ken 028

In a message dated 4/24/2006 12:49:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,