Re: datum point again?

To: "Dave Lindsey" <lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: datum point again?
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 23:33:49 -0400
Dave, check with the deck layout plan, but you will see the deck layout plan measurements are from the center of station 0 and this is printed on the plan in the small print at station 0. Don't be confused with the class measurement rules where the measurements are referenced to the center of station 14 which is the aft measurement point (AMP). Also when you are building your mast you might also be momentarily confused, as the measurements in the plans are from the top of the tube and the class rules for overall length and placing bands etc reference the bottom of the tennon or the bottom of the mast base. Hope that is all clear, just requires a bit of math here and there.
As they say, measure twice, cut once.

As for the jib track, it can be mounted as originally designed between the wing tank sides as shown in the manual. Most boats (and mine) now have the track mounted on the top of the wing for ease of attachment. The geometry of the track position with the forestay is important, so I tried to mount it as close to the original position (but on the wing top) as possible. Theoretically, I guess, it should move back a little, if it is moved up at all. But you cannot move it back much as its quite near the front of the mast. For me, fitting it therefore involved shortening each end to just about a little over 2 inches over the wingtop and a little filing on the back edge to allow it to sit flush on the wing top when set at the correct angle. I set the angle by measuring 36 inches straight up from where my forestay fitting would be or approximately 40 1/2 inches vertically from the fore measurement point at station 0with my tape measure and sighting through the central two holes in the track to this point. Adjust the angle untill the sight holes are perfectly aligned with the view from the point on the tape measure.

Others had told me that if you bolt it down tight it will dent into the cedar so I clamped it in place with a sheet of Mylar under each end, put some glass/carbon under the ends and made a dam of tape around each end to hold in a puddle of epoxy/silica, thereby making a shaped support saddle that I subsequently sanded to a suitable beveled shape. You might notice that the ends of the track are close to being over station 6 (just a bit in front) so if you put some backing reinforcement under there that reaches back to 6, just remember you will need to accommodate the bonding flanges of station 6 around that reinforcement when you glue the bulkhead flanges to the underside of the deck. Its an area that gets stepped on and worried so remember if you are using T nuts make sure they are secured so that they cant fall out if they get loosened. I remember having to get nuts in a similar position on my 49er after removing the bolts only to hear the nuts drop into the boat, what a pain, and the 49er has no portholes.
Greg

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Lindsey" <lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx>