Re: Foam Cores

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Foam Cores
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 20:59:48 -0400
From: Keith Councell
To: Greg Ryan
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2006 8:55 PM
RE: Few questions for you on other things:
1
2. what can we do about the Spin Halyard and launch throght? the line is really
digging in making marks. Will the piece of Carbon reduce this or do we need
something else

Keith I guess I sailed for several years with the same throat arrangement on
the 49er and I did see some burning through the gel coat but no real problem.
Maybe polyester gelcoat is more slippery. Also I had vectran halyards not
slippery dynema. So I'm a bit surprised that the halyards are eating into the
throat. Roberts was a bad case at DeSoto. So first, make sure you are not
pulling the sail down while standing on the other side of the halyard. Also
that the head just comes into the throat. if its coming all the way back into
the throat, that's too far. You might be able to fix that by tying a stopper
knot in the halyard between the middle grommet and the top grommet of the sail.
This spaces the sail out a bit and doesn't let a huge bunch end up in the sock.
Then, of course, it's correspondingly easier to pull it out and less halyard
tension during hoist too.

When you are building the throat it is probably wise to put some extra layers
of unidirectional over the front edge of the throat. Also to use epoxy with
silica filler which is hard, not 410, and especially not 410 under a black
paint. Once the fibers get cracked there, the damage will accelerate.

I don't have finished pictures, but here is what I put in the front of mine
after I saw what happened to Roberts in DeSoto. It is a piece of annealed
aluminum 6061 tube, bent carefully to the shape of the throat. The lumen is
filled with epoxy filler. The tube is faired in to the throat with epoxy flumed
silica filler and the outside front edge wet sanded and polished but not
painted.  I'll silicon wax it and the inside of the throat when its ready to
sail.  If anyone wants to try this solution I have some annealed tubing  (had
to buy a roll) I have already used some inside my transom bar but I have enough
for about 6 throats. Email me and Ill cut you a length  and we can share the
cost.
Greg at nycskiffs.com

JPEG image