Re: Foam Cores

To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx, gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Foam Cores
From: Steve Nichols <aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:39:54 +1000 (EST)
In my past sailing life - in Lasers we prevented wear to the alloy tiller from
the rope traveller that we really pulled down hard by taping plastic from a
washing up bottle around the tiller. It was remarkable how it prevented the
wear. The rope glided over the plastic and didn't slice into it. I actually had
worn partly through an alloy tiller before doing this.
  I'm going to try this on the launcher throat in the wear areas.

  Steve

BDally6107@xxxxxxx wrote:

  Keith,

  As Greg said, the 18" stopper knot should help eliminate this problem because
the halyard never gets pulled inside of the throat.  The retrieval line should
have a cover if it is tapered like the manual shows and if the cover is the
recommended one (Samson), it should not be doing a lot of damage assuming again
that you have the stopper knot to keep it from bunching up in the sock.  I do
occasionally see some grooves and I try to fix them before they get serious.

  It may be a good idea to use hybrid in the future since it is much more
abrasion resistant.