Re: Mast/Boom Rigging Hardware and Rivets

To: WFS03@xxxxxxx, BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Mast/Boom Rigging Hardware and Rivets
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:57:53 -0600
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
You want to use SS rivets for all fittings. Aluminum will turn to powder so fast it will make your head spin. In the salty water I sail in, I've had aluminum rivets fail in less than six months.

One thing I've heard of for insulating the rivets is to push them through electrical tape so that the tape provides a barior between the two metals. There is also some good discussion about this on Sailing Anarchy http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40187&hl=

I hope that helps.