Fwd: Spreaders

To: lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: Spreaders
From: WFS03@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 18:24:21 EDT
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Dave,
Here is the jig that I set up to attach the spreaders to the collar.  The MDF
board stands were easily cut with a 2-1/4 inch hole saw to hold the mast
steady and vertically alligned.  Greg had suggested tipping the leading edge of
the spreader down to account for the mast bend aft.  I used the 2-1/4" hole saw
in the drill press with the table angled at seven degrees to get the right
shape for the cut where the spreaders attach to the collar and then further
shaped the fit with the end of the bench belt sander roller.

Bill Scheumann

In a message dated 8/23/2006 10:52:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time, WFS03 writes:

> Greg,
> I fabricated a collar for the spreader assembly with six layers of 3"
> carbon-uni and one layer of s-glass and shaped it to 2-1/2" width.
> Currently, the
> separate parts weigh as follows:
>
> Collar, 2-1/2"      2.1 oz   62 g
> Spreaders, pair   5.4 oz   154 g
>
> Do you think that the collar is too heavy and can be trimmed down further
> without weakening the structure?
>
> Bill Scheumann

JPEG image

JPEG image