Re: Spreaders

To: Manfred.Schreiber@xxxxxxxx, lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx, WFS03@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Spreaders
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 06:42:25 EDT
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Manfred,
Thanks for your input.  We look forward to working with your  group.  As you
can see from the responses on the list, getting help with  the process is
never a problem.

It is always good to see builders trying different ways to rig the  Swift.
One thing that should be pointed out is that the two masts that  have likely
seen the most use (002 and 013) have the spreaders built and  attached as the
rigging manual shows (and as Manfred suggests).  Neither of  these masts have
had any spreader or other failures.  This  direct bonding method is clearly
lighter, however, you can not remove  the spreaders for shipping (the
downside).
If you should break a  spreader, it will take a bit longer to replace than the
collar system as  well, however, it can be done overnight at a regatta as
long as you carry a  couple of extra spreaders with you.  Built properly, there
is little  likelihood of breaking one except possibly in a crash with another
boat  (sparing).  Weight aloft is a  big deal!  Spreader rake  (sweep) and
length is another significant issue.  We have learned that  longer and less
sweep
is clearly a mistake, however, we have not really  tested the other end of the
spectrum.  If I were a lightweight (stop  laughing),  I would be inclined to
try 8 inches of sweep and perhaps a bit  shorter.  This is only a theory--but
one that I'd try!

On a different subject: after several sessions with / against Ron  Watt, we
have concluded that releasing the leech and luff lines completely on  the Banks
kites as they age solves all of the light and  moderate air speed and tight
reaching problems.  I should have known  this from my 49er experience but it
somehow slipped my mind until  recently.  I was in the beginning stages of
working with Dale at Banks  on a redesign of the kite but now believe that it
is a
waste of time.   Believe me when I say that releasing these lines will improve
your downwind  boat speed more than anything else you are likely to do.