New member and other stuff

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: New member and other stuff
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 23:18:36 EST

First, a big welcome to our newest builder / member, Karl  Schulmeisters.
Karl is another past  49er sailor from Seattle.  He and I sailed against one
another  during the 49er peak years.
I hope everyone had a great Christmas!
Regarding fleet growth:
Seattle and Vancouver  BC have become the two fastest growing areas  for
Swifts.  Both places have  benefited from the pool of both keel boat and dinghy
sailors and will soon have  legitimate Swift Solo fleets.  The  advantage for
these areas are partially the result of continuing exposure to  Swifts over
several years. For those who are interested in starting fleets in  other
locations, one of the best things you can do is likely to keep your Swift  in
front of
the sailing community week after week.  You'll be surprised how cooperative
other classes are for club events if you ask to race with them (preferably
505's  or 49er's or I-14's or some other quick class).  The speed, beauty, and
relative ease of  sailing go a long way toward helping  sailors realize that
there is an exciting  alternative that doesn't require coordination with
someone
elseâs  schedule.
The supply of commercially built Swifts is a problem that we'll need to
address in the next year or so to ensure continued rapid growth. There are
currently no used Swifts for sale. In  Seattle and some other places, the
demand
exceeds the supply (we have Kris booked for a while yet). Hopefully we'll  be
able to discuss possible solutions in July at  Huntington  Lake.  By then, we
should have a better handle  on the number of commercial Swifts being built
verses the demand. At that time  we can better determine if the shortage will
likely spread as Swifts are  introduced and sailed in other places around the
world and formulate an  appropriate plan to deal with it.
Thanks to everyone for your concern over my recent health issues.  I'm happy
to report that recovery is  going well and I plan to be stronger than ever at
Huntington (are you listening Kris?)
Have a great new year.
Bram
PS  I've attached a copy of the latest forestay  PDF