re: Huntington clinic suggestions

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: re: Huntington clinic suggestions
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:06:23 EST
Ron, Robert and all
After thinking about last years clinic, a couple of ideas.

It's my opinion that the major objective of the clinics is to  focus on the
newer guys.  We will again have several Swift  sailors who will be launching
their boats in the spring and attending the  regatta at Huntington as well as
guys from last season with not much  time in the boat.  I think the two up
sailing (for those who ask) is a  good idea and shore clinics are very
important
for newcomers.  I also  think an on-the-water capsize righting clinic would be
helpful. Saw a  lot of extra energy being expended last year on righting
Swifts!  Huntington is great for this kind of thing because the  dock provides
good viewing platform right at the action.

I personally don't think we need an on-the-water coach.  Instead, a
debriefing in the evening with video might be the ticket.  I think  everybody
gets a
little tired of being yelled at from a coach boat.  Often  times, a newcomer
will have just learned something new that he wants to  consolidate while the
coach is bringing in other ideas.  With a  debriefing, newcomers can talk about
what they learned, ask questions from the  experienced sailors and, if they
ask, we can show video of them  sailing.

It would be good if each of the experienced guys would agree to spend  a 90
minutes in the rescue boat during one of the newcomer  sessions to answer any
on-the-water questions and assist in rescue.  If  each of us agreed, we could
easily cover all of the sessions.  This  person could offer suggestions to
those who are obviously making things  difficult on themselves.

Circuit racing in the afternoons for the experienced guys with good video
coverage showing sail trim etc. would be good.  We too could join  the
debriefing and bullshit session in the evenings with the top  few of each days
racing
talking about what they thought they saw on the water  regarding sails trim and
technique (after the newcomers have covered what they  want to ask / talk
about).

The newer Swift sailors are the life blood of the class.  Let's  make a
special effort to ensure that the experience at Huntington helps them  improve
their skills while having a great time.  I always come back  to the fact that
the
good sailors in the 505 class taught me how  to beat them.  Few classes have
this kind of spirit.  Let's continue  that tradition in the Swift class.  When
the racing does start, let's  put having fun first and not get too serious.
Our first two regattas were  great examples to follow.

These are just ideas.  What do you think?