Re: Dumb question from the Aussie

To: "Roger" <rowr@xxxxxxxxx>,"'Steve Nichols'" <aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'Swiftsolo'" <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Dumb question from the Aussie
From: "Greg Ryan" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:26:48 -0500
Steve, I agree with Roger, those cheap hole cutters are great. A rasp would not
have been much use to me. If you use a rasp, maybe use it to pull from the
inside toward the outside but don't delaminate the outer glass either. In my
case I have hybrid tape on the bias over the transom joint on the inside and
reinforcing the center of the transom behind the gudgeons and I was pleased
with the hole cutter, even with the hybrid, which is difficult sometimes. In
any case you can check what it looks like internally with your lap top and a
golf ball camera, with your arm, or on a short cedar strip through the port
hole or a small shaving or makeup mirror. you will have to seal the hole's
edges with epoxy (don't forget the screw holes too) and that will help if there
is some delamination around the hole edge.  If it leaks its a pain.
Regards Greg