Re: Which Tools?

To: "Art Bedard" <bedarda@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Which Tools?
From: "Greg Ryan" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:13:55 -0400
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Art,
I used a strip mill that I built myself. I think there were pictures on Brams old web site. It used 2 routers one with and one against the grain rotation on the same strip at the same time with a power feeder (speed controlled sander) driving the strip at a constant rate of 16ft per 1-1.5 ft per second.

Feeding with the direction of rotation is called "climb cutting" as opposed to "chip cutting" in which the wood moves against the rotation of the cutting tool. Climb cutting is a technique that you can use with fast tools like routers to get a nicer finish on the surface especially when the wood you use is fast growing and has large straight grain, i.e. softwoods including cedar. It is also very usefull when you have softwoods with wavy grain that runs out of the workpiece, i.e cedar. With climb cutting the bit flutes compress the grain of the wood when they strike the edge. The result is that there is less tearout with this method but the cut may not be as deep as expected. Tearout and splintering are typical problems with chip cutting as the flutes cut across the grain as they leave the workpiece especially when your cedar plank has knots and the natural grain runs out of the edge of the strip.

The drawback of climbcutting is that the router controls the feed rate not you, therefore you cant use dull bits, a large flute surface or a very deep cut, else it becomes dangerous. Since our application uses a fairly small flute surface contacting the strip and the strips are large (long with high total mass) you probably wont have issues with loss of control of the feed rate. In our application it should be dominated by friction on the strips from the feather boards (rather than router pull -- like a rail gun). You will need good feather boards, well adjusted, more so with climbcutting, as the method is given more to chattering of the work piece As it is compressed and released with each rotation of the bit the work may resonate at certain speeds I guess. Since cedar is so soft you might not notice it. If you are doing two passes anyway (I did not) use the climbcut first, it will not be 100% as deep as you set the bit and the second pass as chipcut to get the correct depth. Seems like too much work to me. Strips do not need to be perfect. In my bead and cove mill I climb cut the cove and chip cut the bead on the same strip at the same time. Seemed to work for me with one pass. I noticed a little more splintering in the bead sawdust than the cove. Keeping the cove in the center of the strip is the most important thing I thought so Keith's idea sounds like a good idea.

My bead/cove mill used a couple of plastic spring loaded screen door top rollers bolted to the adjustable fence. I cut the bead first and had the bead guide into a 1/2 radius metal ball bearing sheave (so it fits just right). These hold downs and sheave guides apply enough force to keep the workpiece flat on the table top and against the fence. I prepared my source planks before cutting strips so that they were all the same thickness by putting them all through the thicknesser at the same setting. That way one feather board setting is correct, for all strip widths are the same. I also used 3 froude diablo thin kerf, high tooth count blades at the same time to gang cut my strips. Makes short work of it. I made the arbor spacers and shims for the blades out of epoxy fiberclass patches (cut out the arbor hole with a forstner bit centered in the holesaw guide hole). Shim to the exact thickness with thin shims holecut from one layer of E-glass epoxy. Worked for me.

Good luck.
Greg

----- Original Message ----- From: "Art Bedard" <bedarda@xxxxxxxxxxx>