Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New forum functionality

To: "Burt Peake" <peakeb@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"'Swiftsolo'" <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New forum functionality
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 07:19:12 -0500
Cc: <warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burt would you care to respond to this?
To Warren,
Would you check to see that the unsubscribe feature is working correctly (sorry about that Burt)?

I think the message in this is that we do need to make sure that people can both subscribe and unsubscribe easily. Burt likely subscribed originally to look in on our class activities and possibly to witness first-hand the level of class support for builders and builder questions. I get far more compliments than complaints about our mailing list from prospective members. Thanks for all of your effort over the last several years.

To the class,
The mailing list was devised as a method of rapid class communication--primarily for builders
It remains the only practical way that I know of to get quick response to construction questions (1 hour service--more often than not). I would doubt that many prospective members sign on to our mailing list hoping to avoid getting email regarding construction questions.

I can understand Burt's frustration if he is having trouble un subscribing now that he has decided to postpone building a Swift.

I certainly hope that we do not get to the point where we expect builders in need of quick answers to use the forum on our website instead of the mailing list. The time delay would likely be very discouraging. Recently, too often these questions are asked and answered by email privately when the answer would benefit the archives and the majority of builders under construction. I do hope that the class website forum will be used more often to ask questions by those who are not in need of a quick answer, however, the level of class communication in general has been pathetically low since the last effort to stifle use of the mailing list in favor of the class website.

Bram
----- Original Message ----- From: "Burt Peake" <peakeb@xxxxxxxxxxx>