Re: Sails and rig

To: wojtek_pagacz@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Sails and rig
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:20:28 EDT

Wojtek,
A great place to start would be to have a look at the class rules.
 _http://www.single-handedskiffs.com/rulesofficers.html_
(http://www.single-handedskiffs.com/rulesofficers.html)

You should be able to get the basic measurements from there.  The jib  clew
typically has a clew board with three holes in it like the 49er.  The  location
of the clewboard is critical and it may be better to visit someone in  your
area that has a suit of sails to determine the actual location and  angle.

Mast bend can vary a bit depending on whether the builder chose to  sand and
refinish the mast before rigging it.  It may be best to get your  mast, decide
if you're going to sand and put your own finish on it, and then  test it with
the mast track on.  Attached is an xl spreadsheet which will  provide a good
starting point.

We vary/change our mast a rake a fair amount--depending on the wind/wave
conditions (there is no set rule).  Our kites are affected a  great deal by
mast
rake.  Generally we are raking aft in heavy air for the  typical benefits (it
loosens the caps and lowers, loosens the jib leech, and  tightens the kite
luff--driving the fullness forward).  We do have a rather  standard rake
starting
point buy you'd need you boat finished to make that work  (it is a
measurement from the transom bar top to the tip of the mast with the  cap
pressure off.
I'll dig that number out for you)

In a message dated 4/20/2007 6:26:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,