Re: 2009 skiff racing - Ottawa Skiff Grand Prix

To: Pieter Versavel <pieter_versavel@xxxxxxxxx>, Swift Solo <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2009 skiff racing - Ottawa Skiff Grand Prix
From: Bill Strosberg <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:11:05 -0500
Cc: Ron Radko <ron_radko@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Hays Clark <hays.clark@xxxxxxxxx>
Ottawa Skiff Grand Prix - almost always the first (or second if another regatta already booked) weekend in June. Great facilities - we've hosted Nationals, North Americans and Worlds for many classes. Big fleets locally of I-14s, 505s, Fireballs, Albacores, various keel boats. Large well stocked bar within staggering distance of free camping & showers.

Single handed start every year

Single hand fleet consists of:

International Canoes (5 or six - old rules)
International Canoes (3 or more - new rules i.e. Development Canoes)
Contenders (5 or more - including some pretty good sailors at Worlds/North American levels)
29er-X (single handed 29ers)
Falco (2 expected this year, #2 build in progress)
Quetzal (3 or more this year, builds in progress)
Stealth
Wednesday's Child (Paul Beiker-designed carbon single hand B5)

Contenders have won the past two years, due to skill, breakage and general carnage in the Canoes, and general new boat tuning on others.

Overall regatta runs 40 (slow years) - 60+ boats. Ottawa & Toronto have very active I-14 fleets, plus we get a few 49ers and 29ers coming up from Kingston/CORK. There is pretty good East Coast representation with Steve Clark & his canoe clan coming every year as well as a bunch of I-14s that come every year.

Last year we had great wind & pretty unusual conditions for us - there was general carnage and some great racing.

We've been politely trying to get Swift Solo and Musto Skiff representation here for a few years - a lot of our local folks are very interested in the boats.

--
Bill