RE: failing centerboard

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: failing centerboard
From: "karl Schulmeisters" <karlsch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:50:05 -0800
That bulge looks like an offgassing bulge to me.  That would be caused by
chemical breakdown of the foam itself which can happen under heat and
especially if there is an incomplete cure of the epoxy holding the stringers
in, or on the interior layer of the layup.

But a bubble that big would not be caused by stress load failures.  I've
broken rudders, skegs and daggerboards before.  They don't fail gradually
when loaded, they snap.  Bubbles are gradual delams.

So as much as I hate to point the finger at the builder, that's where I
think the problem lies.

An easy way to do the I-Beam CF stringers is to run the core on the table
saw and then glue the pieces back together under vertical pressure after
wrapping a strip of CF on each side of the "I-Beam".  To get alignment you
can either put it back into the outer shell, or you can prefit 2 pegs
longitudinally and let those align the merge.

  _____