Re: Merry Christmas

To: jordan.afe@xxxxxxxxxxx, kdap@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Merry Christmas
From: bdally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 00:53:40 -0500
Cc: rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Jordon,
It's great to hear from you.?

This is a problem that we've seen before.? It can be caused by a number of
things??(friction in the system from blocks not leading cleanly, by a transom
briddle that is too short, a transom briddle with the Y too far down, the jib
sheeting angle well outside of the design standard, the cleat plate on the boom
being located further aft than the spec).?

 Generally, you can help isolate this fairly easily.? If the jib and main stay
in sync after you bear off?to go onto a reach, it is most likely a friction
issue which should be fairly easy to isolate.? The exception is that the
transom bridle length can be substantially off and only cause a small error in
syncronization.? Make sure that the leeward transom leg never gets tight going
to weather with the vang on moderate to hard (it's fine if it gets tight in
light air when you're twisting off with the boom on the centerline).

If the sails do not stay in sync it is likely that one of the following is the
problem:
1.? The distance from the mast to the mainsheet block is not per spec
2.? The distance from the blocks on the launcher throat to the jib track is not
per spec.
3.? The jib purchase ratio is not per spec
4.? The jib track radius is substantially different than a 49er track (we
usually sail in all but heavy air in the second pin hole from the center)
5.? The jib design is substantially different than the Banks jib (I'm guessing
that if the three tapes and the fullness are about the same that it would make
little difference).
6.? Radically different mast rake which may radically raise or lower the boom
(I'm guessing that significantly different mast bent characteristics may also
cause some issues but I'd need to think about this for a while)
7.? Things like boom length, mast location and some other specs could also
cause the problem but you are unlikely to have missed any of those.

One thing is certain, I will provide whatever I can to make sure that we get
this solved.? While every member is important, we think you are?the key to the
future of the class down under.? Please?continue to email with whatever
questions you have until we get this figured out.? It is always good for the
class for issues to be worked on in this mailing list if we can.? There may be
others with this problem.

Incidentally, all of the Swifts experience a little of this in the last inch on
the boom in marginal trapping conditions.? This happens when the vang is
tight?and we are pinching with a really tight jib (flat water).

Have a great Christmas and let's go to work on this.