Re: look back at fort Desoto things I learnt

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: look back at fort Desoto things I learnt
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 07:02:04 -0700
My take on this.

First, Paul's observation that your boat should be rigged before you come is big and I agree. At the very least you should have all of the blocks installed, lines run, and rigging mounted. It would be OK to not have all of the splices finished and lines cut a little proud so we can fine tune once you get there. That being said, you should not stay home because you don't have the rigging on. You'll just loose a lot of valuable water time. Once you do start to rig your boat, stay on task and get it done. Take an inventory of blocks etc. that you might need and maybe show up with extra. To make regattas affordable, the neerest boat shop is often an hour or more away.

One thing Ron does very well and I'm afraid we Swifties fall short on is the two-up sailing. I think this is probably better than a coach boat following you barking out orders from behind. The times I've had a coach follow me, I found it more distracting than helpful. They usually follow behind you and so you have a tendency to turn to interact with them at a time you usually don't have the time to do so or you have more pressing things on your mind.

Video breakdowns of the day's sailing would be nice and for the more advanced, it is a great tuning tool to see where time is lost on tacks, gybes, sets, roundings, and trim differences between boats. The newer sailors might benefit a little from the talk. The biggest benefit is the social aspect of getting and keeping everyone together.

Paul's taking of notes and breaking the races down afterward was great for the intermediate and advanced sailors. I noticed a lot of improvement on tactics as the races went on. Part of it was that the new guys were getting used to sailing these boats but I also better set ups for roundings, starts, and turns at the bottom mark. I wish he'd done more of that for the Swifts.

If you have the chance and you're boat is not yeat ready to hit the water, still come. You'll learn a lot and get a renewed vigor for completing your own boat. Also get involved. You get out of this sport what you put into it.

Thank you Paul for all of your work over the last year to get things organized for the '09 NA's. And to all of the rest on here, may the new year bring you the joy of friendships that last a lifetime, great sailing, and excelent health.

--
Live large, love lots, and sail fast!
The mark of who you are is determined by what you do when you don't have to do it.