Re: look back at fort Desoto things I learnt

To: paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: look back at fort Desoto things I learnt
From: HCWickham@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 01:03:33 EST
Happy New Year everybody!  It's almost 2009 and time to think of the  next
North American Championships!

Thanks to Paul, Ron, Christian, and Robert for your tips.  I agree  with them
all and have a few more.

First, a personal item.  Going to the line the first time this year in
Florida I was overcome with a surprising sense of grief and loss.  I  realized
that
for the last 6 years I had competed with my son and now he was  3000 miles
away and no longer sailing with me!  But over the next week I  learned I had a
new group of friends and they were as big a part of the event as  the sailing
itself.  I'm looking forward to spending time with all of you  this year at
Huntington Lake and anywhere else we can get some boats  together!

I learned:

1.  I need to sail the boat flatter.  Ron Watt is the master at  sailing a
flat boat and it shows in his boat speed.
2.  In order to accomplish #1, I need to trap lower.  Watch Mark  White
sometime to see what I mean.
3.  Sail shape is critical.  I spent most of the summer trying to  get my
main flatter.  I'm still not sure I'm all the way there yet but I've  made
progress.
4.  I agree Bram's on-shore clinic was very helpful in analyzing  stepping
through the boat and positioning during hoists and drops.
5.  Keith demonstrated the importance of tying in your drain plug and  hull
vents.  I tied mine the next day!
6.  Mark your spinnaker halyard so that you can tell when it is fully
hoisted.  I could have won a race except that I didn't hoist my kite all  the
way up.
7.  It's not unusual to have the same order at the windward mark as at  the
starting line.  Practice your starts!
8.  Peggy's pictures are on my computer as a screen saver and I learn  better
technique every time I look at them.

I got started at trapeze sailing pretty late and so I have always assumed
that I needed as much time on the water as possible.  It's helped me
immensely.
 Yet I know that a coach could show me things that I do every  time without
thinking.  I'm looking forward to Bram's clinic this  summer.

I love my little boat and can't wait to start sailing next year!

Chris

In a message dated 12/28/2008 1:17:09 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,