Fw: Milling Strips.

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fw: Milling Strips.
From: "Gregory Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 00:29:16 -0400
I'm forwarding Bills Email to me I think he wont mind.  I assume he wanted me
to pass it on to Tom and Felix.
Since its very relevant for a bunch of people now, I'll post it to the server
as well.
Thanks for the info Bill.
Greg

Greg,
I found a supply of Western Red Cedar lumber at Barrington Hardware in
Barrington, RI at the prices below.  Tom and Felix in RI may find this helpful.

S4S A+ Northwestern Red Cedar
Size:      $ per linear ft.
1x4        1.28
1x6        2.29
1x8        3.09
1x10        4.39
1x12        6.05

I have found milled Western Red Cedar bead and cove canoe strips from Newfound
Woodworks (www.newfound.com) in NH at $0.45/linear foot and at $0.28/linear
foot from Wood, Steel & Glass, Inc. (www.whitecedar.com) Madison, CT.  I have
no idea what the quality and level of service are from these two sources, so I
am evaluating them against milling the strips myself.  I do not have a wood
shaper, but may consider adding a table to my router and use a narrow blade in
my saw as you suggest.  I also asked Goosebay Sawmill and Lumber in NH for a
quote on milled strips.  They asked me for dimensions and a picture of the
milled profile, which I sent to them.  I will update you when I get the price
and availability info.  I have found that sourcing either the milled strips or
the cedar boards is a challenge outside of the Northwest.  My brother used
Atlantic White Cedar on a canoe, but that is not the look that I want for my
Solo.  I appreciate your insight.  Thanks.

Bill Scheumann
Barrington, RI
wfs03@xxxxxxx