Re: Milling Strips.

To: "tom owen" <tom.owen@xxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Milling Strips.
From: "Gregory Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:55:26 -0400
Tom,
I got my cedar from a local lumber yard. General building supply in Edison NJ.
I am about to buy the balance of what I need for 2 boats at Northeastern
Building Supply Jamesburg NJ. I selected these places because the first is very
close to my boat shop and the second is cheaper and closer to where I sail my
49er.
Yes I am milling my own strips. I am using my tandem router mill. I'm hopefully
going to be finished this weekend. I think you could do a boatload in a weekend
if uninterrupted. (not likely for me!). Ill post a picture of the mill when I
get a chance.
I have not made a really thorough survey of prices. I calculated that the best
deal for me would be dimensional lumber 1X4 (really 3/4 X 3 1/2in) at
US$1.18/lineal foot. I think I need 28 boards at 14ft and 3 at 16ft. Total cost
about US$518.00/boat These strips would be a bit narrower than if I cut them
from Decking which is 5/4 X4 or 6in (really 1+1/8in wide) making a strip about
~7/8ths to 3/4 wide strip. I did not calculate how many less strips I would
need because of this extra width but you could. Bram and I discussed it and his
advice was "stick with the narrow strips they behave better".  I have not
bothered to cost the small amount of other dimensional cedar needed for sundry
items or the beach dolly.

Feel free to drop by as the boat develops, I am in New Brunswick NJ.
Greg

  Hi there Greg,
  Some quick questions for you.
  Where did you get your cedar from?
  What is the name of the place that you mention below in NYC/NJ?
  How much did you cedar cost?
  I presume from your comments below that you milled your own strips.
  How long did it take?
  Any advice or guidance would be great.
  Any chance of coming to see you & look at how you at getting on? where
exactly do you live?
  Cheers,
  Tom.