Re: Graphite powder and Aussies

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Graphite powder and Aussies
From: "Gregory Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:06:26 -0400
You could try to sprinkle graphite powder in the bottom but it doesn't stick
unless you use epoxy. Makes a hell of a mess too.

Seriously Tom, if you are really good at glassing and fair excessively before
glassing you could get a perfectly fair hull bottom without added filler or
adding  heaps of clear resin on the glass and sanding  lots and lots and lots
of hard resin. Thereby achieving a  "bright" bottom. I think unless you really
want to be sanding forever you need to add ugly lightweight and softer filler
(or bog to the aussies) to the surface that MUST be fair, "the wetted and
planing surface" and then cover this with opaque graphite which helps make a
hard and smooth surface and hides a multitude of ineptitude. It's up to you,
but I think you need 423 for the bottom as well as for hiding all the ugly
selvedged edges and the double thick glass on the deck and bow that will
show/print through clear 207 catalyzed resin. Alternatively you could paint
these hidden areas with a nice colored enamel. Pick any colour, but flame red
would look nice.
Greg