Re: Rules and RFC

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Rules and RFC
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:54:06 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Rasmussen" <christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 2:40 PM

>The sailarea is in ft^2 while the rest of the measurements are in metric.
>What is the cost associated with the measurement for the builder? My last
boat to be measured was an optimist back in the 80s. I have >raced or sailed
other peoples boats since then, but I dont recall having to go though a
swing test for that one.? It just seems like a lot of >different
measurements.
>So how far have you gotten with your hull? I put the first 10 strips on my
hull. Hope to pick up speed this week.
>Christian

Good point Christian,
It was my suggestion was to ask Bram to standardize on Metric measurements.
He agrees whole heartedly and is supplying the imperial measurements to
boot. (They should be called US not imperial as USA is just about the only
country in the world using inches now). So all measurements will be changed
over to metric as specified by the US NIST. (come on, there has to be some
parochialism in it :-).

An international Measurer will be appointed shortly as the head of the
Technical committee. He or she in consultation with the other members of the
ITC and the IEC will set up a procedure where 'Local" measurers can be
appointed. Say, one or two for each district in the US and where ever there
is a reasonable density of Swifts. They may be the other members of the ITC
and participate in measurement rule issues and  interpretations on a case by
case basis. The international measurer and his technical committee will
coordinate any other "Local" measurers to ensure consistency.
Any unmeasured boat coming to a Swift regatta could be measured there as
there will likely (undoubtedly) be at least one local measurer present. If
not then the NOR or IS's can always allow a temporary amendment to the Class
rules to permit a boat to race unmeasured, but this surely will not be
necessary.

What will most likely be routinely measured by local measurers.
10 or so hull measurements - fairly simple  how long is your hull, how wide,
how deep, etc etc..
Hull weight (mass).
Spar height and length etc will be checked.
Sails will be measured in 4-5 places each. Height and the width at several
points.
Just the obvious things! These are things that any owner can do simply, and
should do in the course of building and rigging his/her Swift.
When you get your measurement certificate that's it! Unless a competitor or
a measurer suspects that something has changed. I dont think this is very
onerous. If no swing test is performed it might be required at a nationals
or worlds. This is my view actual mileage may vary.

It is quite simple to do a swing test also. Although the class sanctioned
swing test hooks look complicated they can be substituted with something
very simple in order to hang the boat from a saw horse with a couple of cup
hooks for any builder to check his boat. Stick to the plans and your boat
will breeze through the test - really no need to worry about it or even
check it. The swing test tolerance will be set to generously to allow normal
building variation (by being an average +/- at least 2 standard deviations
of a quorum of well constructed boats).  However, if you attempt to design
within the rules you might get caught, and have to add lead (this will not
kill you but will make your boat the same as everyone's - except more ugly).
Famously, Finns saw this kind of COG cheating and the Lamboley test
revolutionized the consistency of their build your own class. This test is
routine in many classes that allow people to build their own boats or have
many commercial builders where the competition is fierce for a bigger
section of the market.  The reason we use it is not to slow the boats down
(far from it), but to make sure the second hand boat someone buys will still
work the next season. Allowing people to skimp on the scantlings will have
disastrous effects. You would think we are all not that stupid (or
unethical) but anyone ever seen an expensive hull crack like and egg and
sink?

Finally, fitting hulls to official template sets and swing testing will most
likely be restricted to national or world championships. If you get
competitive at that level lets presume you have sails that are not exceeding
the maximum area and a boat hull that measures. Measuring process then will
not be a headache, just a formality. I do not presume to know what the IEC
will set as fee for measurement but I would be surprised, if any, it was
much more than what is required to cover postage of the certificate. All the
executive positions of the ISSA should be Honorary IMHO.

Greg Ryan
Swift Solo 009 -
Sandy Hook Bay NJ

PS I have strips cut though not enough yet. The gancutter works well at 3
per shot and the dual bead mill is working nicely. I will post pictures
later but too late for most I guess. We have bought a new house in the mean
time and will settle in a few weeks.  It's interfering. I have the hull
sections cut from the reusable hardboard templates (that worked like a
dream) and am fitting to the strongbacks. Tonight I will finish a prototype
Spinn throat (-looks nice). I am thinking that if getting these from
Vanguard is a problem, I might be able to supply the foam blank for this
piece to the class for a few bucks to cover postage. That is my progress. Oh
yes, some work on the rules.
I am trying to set up a local web site to stir up interest and get a local
NYC fleet going. I'll let you know the URL when it is finalized. Please let
me encourage everyone to do as much recruiting as you can. You will all need
local competition to reach a high standard.
Greg.