Rules and RFC

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Rules and RFC
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:55:52 -0500
The email server has bee relatively quiet concerning the rules in development.
I know that some of the diagrams did not show on the web page. (Bram can you
fix that? I can always supply those diagrams in another mode). The tail end of
the document has not been finished but we felt it was better to get the bulk
(20 pages) of the rules out for comment. I will be filling in the instructions
to measurers with details for you all to comment on, but the gist is in
Section B.  Now is the time to get your concerns out there. Nothing is too
small and you may find there is considerable support for your rule idea or
design philosophy. One can already see that this class will be a partial
development class. Partial in the small sense though. The proposed rules allow
a wide latitude to personalise your boat but not to make a runaway development
that will have you 4 minutes ahead of the pack as we saw in a few races of the
current Skiff Moth Nationals. (Addition of lifting hydrofoils). The hull, its
size and character, mass and centers of gravity and inertia will be maintained
rigidly to prevent problems other classes have discovered. The sails will be
substantially controlled too, allowing a little flexibility for tuning and
innovation.

The combination of restricted and free features will be unique to the Swift
Class. Swift crews will find that the key to being in the front of the pack is
dialing the power for the wind and sea conditions and especially weight of the
skipper. A one size boat does not fit all, and this is a major factor that has
killed or is killing other high performance classes at least in the US and is
certainly retarding growth in other places. Consequently I am very encouraged
to see that the Swift community is moving towards allowing meaningful
adjustment of the power systems of the boat. Our class, will not easily be
eclipsed by other new classes, will creep ahead and we will not be stuck
sailing a slow 30-50 year old based design now that modern technology is
pouring out data and new validated improvements, especially into sail and foil
design. Once you experience what a Swift skiff can do you wont be looking back
- ever.

One of the most significant Swift rules is buried in subrule 4.4.1.
Incorporation of design features. This kind of rule allows possible
consideration for Swift design evolution in a manner that is responsive to the
body of existing owners. While it is reassuring to sail a tightly controlled
class such as Laser or the 4X0 classes or their look-alikes. The Swift class
will add an additional dimension to regattas. I think we will enjoy seeing what
is hot and go fast and what innovative people have come up with. Those with an
inventive bent will have great fun testing themselves with more than the usual
metrics. In the end however,  I think we will all find out that the successful
Swift sailors are those that put in the time to practice and go to regattas, no
matter how good they are in other classes or how they rig their vang and where
they put their spinn blocks. Summed for those that like analogies,  Swift is to
"you fill in the >30yo OD class" as Chess is to Checkers.

I am being deliberately blunt but again I encourage you to voice concerns in a
constructive way at this time. It may be that if thorny issues are discovered
we can publish substantive language together with a rule interpretation that
will not require ISAF ratification should we decide to relax or tighten on the
issue. Those of us with some experience of more regulated classes know that
sometimes well intentioned amendments (that are even quite well supported) can
be slow to achieve through the processes set forward by ISAF.

I know I am looking forward to meeting all of you at the first Swift regatta, I
want to also thank Bram for his tremendous effort especially in the last 3
months getting the boat up to the stage we are now. Good luck with the building
over winter and keep an eye on your fingers.

Greg Ryan

Swift Solo 009 - Rose

Sandy Hook Bay NJ.