Class rules

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Class rules
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 01:23:15 EST
Just a note to the class regarding rules.

It appears that I will not have the sail measurement numbers until the middle
of next week.

The latest mast from Forte looks like it may be right on.  So far the testing
has been good and tomorrow it and the new boom will be tested in the boat
with the new mainsail.

As Greg pointed out, none of our builders should be worried about the rules
at this point.  If you cut the station templates within 3mm of the line (a
blind person with an ax should be able to do that) and if your strongbacks are
reasonably straight it would be very difficult to screw up.  On the other hand,
those who might be tempted to redesign the boat to the edge of the rules should
be very worried.  We have spent months writing rules that will foil those
cheaters.  In short, don't worry about the rules affecting your construction
process.

Again, use the bow template only after you have laid the hull strips.  It
will only screw you up if you start worrying about the bow shape during the
stripping of the hull.  Do make sure that the strips don't bend out of line
forward
of station 1/2 when you are fitting the strip at the bow.

Remember, you need to get some strips on the forms before January 10, 2004
(and order the parts package) in order to take advantage of the rebate.  I am
staying as close to the phone as possible this winter in order to provide
assistance.  Hopefully, by June, the class will have at least 40 other people
who
have experience building Swift Solos that would be able to help answer
questions
when I'm out sailing and helping with training sessions.  For those in the US
and Canada that get your boat done by June, you can be assured that there
will be an opportunity to join a training session within a days drive of your
home sometime next summer (Florida and Texas may be in the fall or early winter
when we can entice some northerners to come down to the warm weather).