Fairness

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fairness
From: "Paul Stalker" <pgstalker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:26:41 -0500
Hi all,

I'd like to thank Ron for his experiences and contribution to this
discussion in his last post. It is much appreciated and inspiring. I have
built only one small boat before, a canoe, using simlilar techniques &
materials to the Swift Solo. It is amazing how fair it was when it came off
the station forms. Sanding only requried.

Personally, I'm still not even sure I want to sacrifice my only copy of the
templates to adhesive and panel, but not due to any fears of distortion. If
I botch the station panel at any point, before/during/after this (possibly
only first) boat, then what? I'm still considering using the traditional old
tried, tested & true method of hammer, nails and batten to tranfer the lines
to panels. This would take a lot (lot, lot) more time, but I'm on no factory
production schedule here, and I would see this as part of the whole
(enjoyable) process if I decide to do it. And, yes, it might introduce
another 0.5mm error. Oh dear.

I was fully aware of what I was buying when I ordered Bram's plans &
templates. I first read every bit of info on the website and in Wooden Boat.
Templates are self-explanatory, and I quickly took plans to also include the
illustrated construction manual. I am satisfied with the paper copies--I
assume they were made in a climate-controlled space, just like the building
I will use them in. I fully appreciate that this is a fairly new company,
design and class in development and I see that as something exciting and
satisfying to be involved in.

cheers,
Paul Stalker
Guelph, Ontario, Canada