Re: Fairness and Hardboard router templates

To: "Paul Stalker" <pgstalker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fairness and Hardboard router templates
From: "Gregory Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:25:12 -0500
If you are worried about having dinged-up sections for your second boat you
might want to place the sections on hardboard backing with the non-aqueous
spray glue. Plan ahead and only 2 pieces of hardboard are needed. Cut (I
used a jig saw for rough and band saw for close and sand them to the exact
shape for the last 1-2mm). Hardboard is thinner, easier to shape and lighter
to work with than particle board or MDF. To make sections, for as many boats
as you will build, punch brads through the control lines and use a router
with a 1/2 inch pattern following bit to cut out the sections. If you do a
good job on the hardboard templates they will make very nice sections over
and over again. Anyone can verify how well you have done with the templates
by checking for the lines still visible and absolutely no paper showing
outside them.
I have checked my hardboard templates they are mostly exactly on the design
size and better than 7 thou anywhere to the line. They are also symmetrical
(Flip the routed sections and double check).

Use the hardboard template to rout the bulkheads (not the routed particle
board/MDF section) This frees you to change the order you wish to do things
(provided you have enough space).

Size / Distortion
Section 10 my template
maximum width (tip to tip at bottom of the gunwale) is 1876mm
the other side of my (admittedly cheap) tape measure says 73 & 29/32 inches
I don't know which one is nearer the real length.

Shall we send to France for the Standard Metre :-)

Having sanded these templates and fussed over them  I would recomend buying
the CNC sections from VMG to eliminate work not connected with the actual
boat. Whether you get the bulkheads also from VMG or not is up to you but I
think its a good to get in the swing of things by making the not so
esthetically critical panel for the bulkheads yourself.

While there are no CNC sections available, anyone in NJ, NY CT area who
still needs to cut and sand their sections could come to my garage and cut
them in a short afternoon with my help. Bring your plans and two 6-packs of
Corona longnecks to rest the new sections on until we are done.

Greg
Swift Solo - Rose - USA009