Re: Some Questions???

To: "Rob DesMarais, D.C." <drrld@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Some Questions???
From: Warren Stevens <warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 14:18:56 -0700
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 02:32:34PM -0500, Rob DesMarais, D.C. wrote:
>              Are there cradle plans as mentioned in the manual?  Pg. 60.
>              What stations would the wood on the cradle lie?  Distance
>    between the wood running parallel with the stations?

No, but it's a simple capital I shape.  The top of the I is 60" wide,
the bottom is 72".  They lie on stations 6 and 10 (actually slightly
forward of station 6).  You'll find that after you've got this all
glassed together the edges are quite rough; I trimmed this with my
jigsaw with metal blades, and you'll need three or four (the
fibreglass makes short work of blades....)

>              e-glass or s-glass or hybrid?  Does the Sweet package order
>    contain enough for the cradle?

E-glass.  The sweet package does, although in my experience you have
to be miserly (I needed about 1 yard more, which I picked up at my
local West Marine).  If you can, use something other than that
expensive West System epoxy, the cradle takes a ton of it...

>    Injecting staple holes?  Is the West System Syringes of small enough
>    diameter to fill these or do I have to get hypodermic needles?

No, but I think you're better off filling those with repeated passes
with a squeege rather than a syringe.  My strategy is three
applications on the holes followed by a sealer coat for the entire
wood area, and I've had little problem with outgassing.

>    Seal coating:  Are you doing it with a squeegee, roller or brush?

squeegee.  Rollers are good for filling the weave in the first
application of epoxy after glassing the hull.  Brushes apply too much
epoxy for just a basic seal coat.

>    Beveling the hull at transom - 45 degrees?  Any tips or tools used?

yes, 45 degrees.  I marked a line 1/4" in, then used a rasp and
sandpaper to create a flat section between the line and the edge.

>    Do you use the metal roller for smoothing out the glass as shown in the
>    Kayak book?

I have one of those and have tried it, but didn't find it to be
especially useful.  (if you do try it, be sure to rest it on a paper
towel so that all the epoxy drains out...)

>    Graphite Powder:  Not included in the kit from Sweet so how much do we
>    need to purchase?  When you say 10% graphite powder, what you referring
>    to?  10% in relation to the weight of epoxy used?

I have a 12 oz can.  The instructions say 10% by volume, which by my
calculations is about 1 tablespoon per six squirts.  Always mix
consistently otherwise you'll get the zebra effect.

And don't get sensitised to epoxy. ;-)

Warren

--
warren stevens - catzooks.com