Re: Attaching spreaders to mast

To: lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Attaching spreaders to mast
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:43:42 EDT
David,

After thinking about it for a while, that may be an idea with some issues--
so I'll play the devils advocate.  First, you'd have to keep any resin from
getting between the mast and the collar in order for that to  work.   But the
real issue is in the number of layers  of tape required in that kind of
application to keep it from  fracturing where it spans the gap.  I think you
may be
adding a lot  of weight.  I would expect to see small cracks in the application
 develop first where the collar meets the mast track (bottom and top of the
collar on each side.  I think those cracks will grow larger over  time by
working their way forward.

Incidentally, by the time you sand all of the old carbon  tape and epoxy off
(should you break a spreader) and apply new stuff,  wouldn't you be just as
well off to use the direct bonding method?  It is  quite a bit lighter in a
place that weight is important.

Just to let you know--I have experience taking off old spreaders after  using
the direct bond method and it is quite easy with a random orbital  sander.
Because the filler and epoxy is much softer than the mast  material, there is
little danger of damaging the mast during this rather quick  removal process.

All of the above opinion is based on instinct--so it is worth  about 75% of
what you're paying for it.

regards,