A reserved seat at the table

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: A reserved seat at the table
From: "Daniel McGill" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:56:40 -0500
Hello all

My name is Dan McGill and way back in the summer of 2003 I reserved seat
number 17 at the swift solo builders table. Having neglected my place
for the last few years, I am now ready to take up residence.

To that end I will be cutting some station templates this evening and
hoping to build the strongbacks this weekend while I have the large
space to do so. This is about as far as I can get with locally (NE)
available materials.

I am hoping to acquire just enough materials to get me through the parts
build. I realize that this may end up being more expensive in the long
run than buying everything at once and in bulk, yet due to space and
monetary constraints this will allow me to get the ball rolling and deal
with the rest later. Moving built parts from one shop to another will be
a lot easier than moving a boatload of loose materials, especially the
strips.

So, have any builders found themselves with left over materials? I need
just enough strips to get the build going, which the manual indicates
approx. 5 foot lengths to build the bulkheads, etc. It seemed plausible
to me that a number of those past the hull/deck build might have some
remaining quantities lying around and be happy to rid themselves of
them. I would be happy to pay some agreed upon amount (such as the
builders $/LF bulk price) as well as shipping to this corner of the
country. Seems it could potentially be mutually beneficial. Also, I have
located some smaller quantities of hybrid available, but it is very
pricey. Again, if anyone has any significant quantities (say, a yard or
more) lying around that they find themselves unlikely to use, the same
arrangement could apply.

I seem to remember at one point that there was an update to the flare in
the bow that would affect the shape of station 1. I realize that there
is a change to the profile that I will need to get from Bram before I
get to that part of the build, but this was something different and I
have seen no mention of it on the forums. Is this an overactive
imagination at play? Also, many of the attachments in the catzooks
archive are unavailable due to permissions. This could have a terribly
adverse effect on my motivation as seeing SOLOCOCOLOCO sailing in a
hurricane would raise my spirits immensely. Is this a problem only I am
having?

It would be great if anyone has something to provide in this vein. If
not, then any advice about the building process is welcome at this
tender stage in the game. I have read through the forums to get up to
date on the experience of prior builders and to keep up with the
changes. I am sure that a stream of questions will be pouring firth from
me soon enough, so talk to you all soon.

Thanks for taking the time. I look forward to joining the class on the
water soon.

Dan McGill

Burlington, VT

Swift Solo #17