Re: where to buy ceder

To: windrunner16i14@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: where to buy ceder
From: wfs03@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:04:45 -0400
John,

Try Liberty Cedar, 325 Liberty Lane, West Kingston, RI? 02892? 401-789-6626.?
Purchase 1x6 Western Red D&BTR Inland Cedar (S1S2E) Product Code 5D106.? You
may want to get some white cedar and?mahogany for accent strips.? They may have
boards in 14 ft and 16 ft lengths, but you want to hand-pick ones that are flat
grain?so that your strips can be cut quarter sawn for strength.? The grain in
your strip must run near vertical when the strip is laid flat on your table.?
Use a thin kerf saw blade in your table saw to rip the 1/4"x1" strips.? Then
mill them with a 1/4" cove and bead router bit, which will reduce the strips to
about 3/4".? Mill the bead edge first and then the cove edge.? The cove and
bead bits are available from MLCSWoodWorking.com, called their "canoe" router
bits.? I?got 184 BF, which produced enough strips for nearly two boats, so I
hope that your estimate is closer.

If you want to buy ready-made strips, the Swift Solo?Construction Links page
lists some good?sources.

Bill Scheumann
USA020 and USA040
Barrington, RI