Re: A Swift Solo Warning for those rigging

To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: A Swift Solo Warning for those rigging
From: swiftsolo <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:22:13 -0500
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=ifEagMwwWkDdaigZ4Gels/dptXwFBAERCC81xvmCEIs=; b=kCHUh74UFbPFQWsqUKnAZKrFFB4wp+A/tqJocKXgF1OPZtXR7nXvQ+XIhvR2gnzA7yFfCSv8/8xBdJF40xtamNPjszgwDdt2YF7y2dD3pJ1k8Xm/Vi+zLYjeyvaIIAd61JAo0Gdl7MNy815CcdJ4SwIb0Pg9KU/N1AokFyxGjKw=
Not sure what the context is for people wanting to move their cleat, but
since we are on the subject, there are some real improvements
that could be done to the sheeting system. Here is a couple and how I've
tried to improve it.

1. When sailing up wind I have often wanted to sheet the jib harder. But If
I set the relativity to that, I get a situation where
pulling on the main, just makes the main go in. E.g. the force from the
jibsheet behind the mainsheet cleat is higher than the force
it takes to just move the main in. So the sheet is not moving through the
mainsheet cleat. Possible moving the mainsheet cleat aft
could alleviate some of this issue. The solution I have tried is to use more
purchase in the jib sheet. Sailed with that most of last year
and it appears to work fairly well. But obviously down wind your jib is not
going out as far as it would with the original system. I don't think
this has an impact on speed, but does require a little more accurate
steering.

2. Another issue is when sheeting the jib hard, the cart moves inward on the
track and chokes the slot off. I feel the boat could have a better upwind
 performance if I could sheet the jib a bit flatter.  The root cause of this
problem is that the (49er) track does not have the right geometry
for our jib. Jordan showed me a way of eliminating some of this, by running
the jib sheet to the sides of the track.. See attached picture.
I have only tried this out a few times, and it has  hard time working in
light air due to the extra friction of the blocks. I am going to try
and taper some line to make it lighter through there and see how that will
work out. But otherwise it looks promising.

Christian

The other issue is the jib track curve is not fitting the