Re: A Swift Solo Warning for those rigging

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: A Swift Solo Warning for those rigging
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:11:32 EST
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Christian,
the downside to adding more purchase to the jib is that it will not stay
correctly sheeted when you go two sail reaching (the two sails will not be in
sync with one another).  I have seen the problem you describe but it is
usually
associated with something in the jib sheeting system causing  excessive
friction.  Normally, you should only experience this in the last  two inches of
boom travel and you can quickly pull hard and the jib  will come in.

I've thought a number of times about changing the radius of the jib track,
however, I've learned to use the car travel to my advantage right after the
start.  Normally, I find that if the jib car is moving to weather, I've  over
sheeted the jib--an advantage sometime to gain a lee bow position.   The
exception is in really light air and when like to see the car move a couple  of
inches to weather.  It is easy enough to order any radius you'd  like if you
prefer
something different.

Bram
In a message dated 2/12/2008 1:23:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,