Fwd: rules and other stuff

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: rules and other stuff
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 01:58:26 EST
--- Begin Message ---
To: pfps@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: rules and other stuff
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 23:48:44 EST
Full-name: BDally6107
Peter,

Good question.  I'll do my best to answer.

Here are the factors:
1.  The saturation rates (viscosity) of various brands of epoxies vary
substantially.
2.  We want to keep the playing field as level as possible.
3.  All of the testing we have done has been on WEST or PROSET Epoxies.
PROSET is a heat cured epoxy and we decided it was not suitable for the average
garage build and therefore would not be appropriate for the class.
4.  Gougeon (WEST) has been kind enough to do thousands of dollars worth of
testing for us on their computerized hydromat.
5.  There is a high probability that different matrixes (epoxies) will
produce different results--possibly better but probably worse.
6.  The two highly respected builders of high performance boats that I
consulted with (one builds racing sailboats and one racing shells) have
convinced me
that System 3 and MAAS produce inconsistent epoxies and neither will use
these products any longer.  They now use WEST exclusively for matrixes for wood
saturation composites.
7.  Without spending a lot of money on testing, it would be impossible
predict the stiffness and degradation rates of other epoxies.

None of these factors individually would have caused us to believe that we
should insist on WEST.  However, when combined they make a compelling case.

It is important to point out that the class will be voting on these rules and
if the builders want this item changed, they can do it up front or at any
time in the future with a simple majority.

I hope this helps and I agree that calling out a particular brand would be
counterproductive in almost any other case.

--- End Message ---