Florida Regatta

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Florida Regatta
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:08:47 EST
Jane and I just returned from Florida and are happy to report  that Fort
Desoto is simply far superior to any of the many others we  looked at on both
coasts.  The only downside is the lack of a local yacht  club to help run
races.
We will likely have to being our own race  committee and rescue boat.  We will
ask sponsors to help with the cost and  can assure everyone that the entry
fee for the entire 7 days will be about $100  and will include several barbecue
lunches and diners.

Do remember that this is mostly about learning to sail your Swift well and
having fun.  We want everyone to know that they are welcome and that those
contemplating building or buying a Swift are also welcome.  We'll do our  best
get you out for a sail (especially those who would be willing to help  out).

We'll spend our days on the beach with our boats and our families and
friends enjoying cook outs, sailing, sailing instruction, hiking, biking,
kayaking
and watching sailing video on the large screen in the evenings (the  side of
my trailer).  Bikes and kayaks are available for rental on the  island.

I've got to look up which of our builders recommended Fort Desoto (memory
was one of the first things to go) because we owe him a lot for this tip.   Be
sure to go to the website and look at the regatta info and pictures very  soon.
 You've got to get your campsites reserved very soon.

This place is ideal for both the family and for the sailors.  It  simply
doesn't get any better.  The Park Superintendent is a small boat  sailor and
was
very helpful.  He assigned a ranger to take us to several  potential beaches
(dirt roads that will be open only to us for  launching--special use permit has
been applied for).  The island is a V  shape and we can move to either side of
the point depending on the wind  direction.  This will allow us to sail in
very smooth water.  A third  location at the campsites would suffice for the
clinic is the wind was high  because it is a small and protected area that is
about as unintimidating as it  gets (only about 1000 yards across in any
direction).