Re: other ballot issues

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: other ballot issues
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:24:08 -0400
As you all know by now, the rudder specs were chosen to ensure the boat is
controllable and the initial intention was to be harsh in the rules so that the
first bunch of boats wouldn't get a bad rep before the fleet even started. I
pushed for some flexibility and that is why the rule 5.13.6(e) (part ii and
iii) provides an out if the 49er class foil become impractical for any reason.
The section shape is a big part of the control factor. I cannot take any credit
or blame for the section shape of the Aquilo rudders, that honor belongs to the
Bethwaite stable. I personally think it might just be possible to make a ruder
with the same section shape that has less drag than a 9er rudder, by changing
the planform shape.  I am concerned however that if the rule is left completely
open new rudder cassettes would have to be made and changed every time you use
a new blade and blades would not therefore be interchangable at regattas (in
case of breakage or for speed and handling testing). Keeping an approved
section shape the same as the 49er section and the same chord at the top 12
inches would obviate these concerns. That being said I am for less rules rather
than more when it comes to knitpicky rules like rudder shape.

Just keep in mind It is not yet certain by any means, which of the two planform
choices  we have now  (that have the same section and approximate area) is
faster.

Do we want to stop someone making a skinny small rudder with a lot less drag?
Probably, we all should be able to guess that with just one win with a rudder
like this and a rock star skipper everyone will think they need to have that
kind of laminar flow blade to be able to compete. I think this will take the
class down the wrong path. Rock star skippers might be able to control a boat
with such a blade but the rest of us will just find the boat hard to sail and a
lot of peope wont understand why - my real concern,  and then they start
blaming the class design rather than a stupid desision about the rudder section
and area.

The other concern is that if we do lock in a shape it should be available to
home builders through multiple commercial retailers as a cheap blank. At the
moment it is possible to make a rudder, a very good rudder, using a core blank
from Aquillo or Wanka for a lot less than the cost of the 49er rudder. I think
this is the way to go. I will work to make sure the NYC Skiffs blanks are
available if the commercial suppliers fall through on this.

I also think it is unfair to the initial builders if they would feel penalised
by the class choosing one shape or the other or leaving the rule open. In the
event the 49er blade is not chosen  the class might be able to supply
replacement foam cores to the few boats that already have 49er blades, thus
making their loss almost whole again. It is also quite possible I have realised
(now that I have much more CNC hot wire experience) to make a foam core that
could produce a blade as near as damn it to indistinguishable from the
bethwaite section AND planform. ie a 49er board (but it would be MUCH lighter).
Roger would certainly be unhappy about stocking these cores for us as he has at
certain cost to his business to help the class get to the regatta and then
because of a change having to eat his stock. Likewise not fair.

To me the rules seem a bit schizophrenic. Almost open CB rule (max width, well
how could it be much wider since the case is that wide +1/16 on both sides for
packing). and a closed rudder rule.

So what do we do about the rudder rule ?

Have everyone buy the rudders from Ovington (RIP) or MaKay. That would be an OK
but expensive option depending on the health of another skiff fleet.
I would suggest keeping the section shape and chord at the top the same as we
have been doing  add a stipulation that the chord may vary but basic section
shape must not change through the longitudinal length of the blade and then
have an area and minimum and maximum depth rule, leaving the planform shape up
to the builder. This would ensure adequate control characteristics upwind and
adequate depth and surface downwind. It is a rather lot of rules though and
difficult to control.

An alternate sitation is to settle on a "class" foam core design that can be
made simply and can be CNC cut simply and cheaply. The object here would be to
provide adequate control of both the sailing characteristics and control the
cost to make a very cheap rudder available and also to simplifty the rules.
My company is branching out into other foam uses and you will all soon be
invited to the opening display.
http://www.amazingbreasts.co.uk/breast-form-types_50.html

Concerning wings on foils.

The rules are clear on this matter in my opinion. They are not allowed by rule
5.13.6 (part f).
  a.. f. No appendages shall be allowed below the waterline on the
  b..     i. centerboard or
  a..     ii. rudder
Unfortunately we did not protest Mr Dally at the appropriate time. This would
have moved Mr Harper into the brown medal position which I believe he deserved.

You know this rule taken to its absurdity, you could build a
wing-in-ground-effect attachment to the top of the CB or rudder and fly around
the course, but if you were able to achieve this why bother with a hull at
all.:-)

The recent advent of foils on rudders and even centerboards, in my view, is an
exciting development. It is very far from clear what this will do to existing
open class designs. Really why have a slippery hull at all, a supercavitating
wedge might do as well and will begin planing faster.  I'm particularly
interested in watching how well foils work out on rudders of short WLL boats
not unlike the Swift.  Mr Dally put the kybosh on allowing that kind of
appendage for his design. Time will tell if he was "right as usual".  I am
certainly not going to second guess him (publicly!). But, I will attempt to fly
a boat that looks like a Swift, just for fun at some stage I'm sure, even it
its not faster round the pins it would allow me to get in closer to the beach
before I have to get out and get wet..

Becoming serious again --- wipes smirk away. Really.
5.13.3 Mast Spar
  part c. The mast shall have a maximum height of 6.935m (273 inches), which
shall be measured from the bottom (or bearing surface) of the heel plug (less
the tenon) up the forward face of the mast to the top of the masthead crane.

This rule was written in concert with the rule about the white band regulating
the hoisted position of the top of the mainsail to keep the mast within
reasonable bounds but not to restrict you in the design of the mast head crane,
the position of its sheaves etc etc. Especially in case the 49er fitting is
inadequate for any reason (apart from being just BUTT UGLY and cheap) since we
have no control over another class' fittings, so it seems.

My obvious intention, I must now confess, in writing this rule the way it is
was to allow one to attach wings of indeterminant width or chord to the mast
head crane so that the Swift will be able to fly just above the water like a
glider. You will notice the absence of a horizontal appendage or area rule for
the mast! Unbeknown to me Mr Dally slipped in rule 5.13.3 part b  to a late
draft of the rules. Fortunately my lawyer (PC Chris LLP) tells me for my
devious plan to clear 5.13.3 part b and qualify as a "fitting" the main halyard
sheave can easily be inserted in the trailing edge between the wings. Steve
Clark and I are working now on a prototype leveraging the very sucessful
vertical Cogito wingmast design for the horizontal Swift solo "wing top mast
crane fitting". Look to see it soon on the Vanguard web site. A large
Australian fitting manufacturer is interested in this Swift solo part too.
Really.
You Go Steve. (notice the useless rudder). Why not save 50% of that weight and
put it in he middle. Eh!. Bieker agrees with this idea and so do a lot of other
designers. Ask my lawyer.

While we are on about wings. Those little appendages which cannot be put on the
foils, I have got a call into my lawyer about the little wings you see in the
videos of the 8teens attached to the hull at the knuckle to stop porpoising or
scuba diving. Can any of you get your lawyer to call you back?? whats up with
that. I'Il have to say mean things about Loosers -----* again.  Ayway, these
knuckle dusters might also be available from NYC Skiffs soon. I believe the
8teen knuckle dusters did not become popular because they were not a
supercavitating shape with a sharp front edge so that you will not be slowed in
case you should run over a competitor. What were they thinking. My lawyer is an
expert on this, he is writing a book on it. Here is why it would work.

Concerning smaller or Sport sails, one sail or no sails. Go for it! Smaller is
faster, just ask Jim Champ or Steve Clark. Jim doesnt seem to need a spinn on
his version of a solo skiff either. (he's worried about concrete walls or
something). My lawyer tells me Marchaj said something like this too, but Im
going to disregard that.
Likely anyone who can keep upright and complete the course in an afternoon race
in SF bay or the Gorge might just be a winner. I can attest to that.

Have a slow day at work once in a while - its good for your bones. Funny ones
that is.
GR - Rose.
http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16036&st=0

JPEG image