response to an importan question from Bob Lewis regarding alternative co

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: response to an importan question from Bob Lewis regarding alternative composites
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:23:41 EDT
Bob Lewis recently asked the question about why we don't simply go to a
typically molded composite hull and deck (Nomex or balsa core).

For those who don't know Bob, he is a top notch International Canoe  sailor
from Vancouver who has been really helpful to our class (except  don't ever
race him in his fluky home waters--his streak of "dumb luck" remains  unbroken
in
a hundred consecutive outings).  I'm doing all I can  to postpone racing Bob
in a Swift at Jericho to avoid the  embarrassment of getting my ass kicked by
a rookie Swift sailor on his  first outing.

The following is my response to his question:

On the subject of the boat market: I think that there is indeed a  market for
Swifts made of glass composite as long as they are much  cheaper.  It has
been our contention from the beginning that this market  exists because many
sailors remain unaware of some hard evidence  that most seasoned Olympic
sailors
have known for years--new foam / Nomex  cored boats go faster than older foam /
Nomex boats (by "older boats"  we mean boats that are six to 10 months old).
Our composite testing from  Gougeon is finally going on as we speak and will
quantify the question of  composite degradation for the various samples. We
believe that whatever the  results, we must use the method that minimizes
cyclic
degradation if we are to  help stop the slow decline that small boat sailing
has been experiencing  over the past 20 years (about the time when more and
more sailors became aware  of the problem).  I believe that nearly all top 49er
and 470 sailors  would prefer to spend an additional 33% for their boats if
they knew they could  get 15 years out of a boat at the top level instead of
the
current 6  to 12 months.  This would be especially true for those who are not
 sponsored.

Boats with carbon and Nomex cored decks would be significantly faster  than
the current boats.  We think the testing will show that they would  even be
faster after 10 years.  The problem is that a new boat with a  Nomex deck will
be
faster than a 10 month old boat with a Nomex  deck.  If true, you would be
right back to the 470 / 49er  game--if you want to play at the top level you
have to buy a new boat  every 6 to 12 months.

Most of us don't need to compete at the top level.  We don't mind  having our
butts kicked by guys who practice more, and have better boat  handling.  On
the other hand, if we realize that we are slow,  even going in a straight line,
it's time to take up some other sport--the  choice of far too many "one
design" sailors over the past 20 years.  These  are guys who "bought" the
propaganda that strict one design boats "level the  playing field', leaving
them with
the only logically feasible conclusion--they  simply can't sail very well.

Remember Hexcel Ski Corporation?  They went out of business about 10  years
ago.  They were very successful for about 10 years and hung on  for another
five -- until the market became aware that their skis changed  dramatically
during a single season of 15 ski days.  Most long  time serious skiers have
gone to
the new high-tech core material--wood.  It  doesn't lose its' memory.  I
believe that this is right where dinghy  sailing is today, however, low initial
cost, not value, will always be the  opiate of the young.

Because of the design of the Swift, the significant hull loads are nearly
all in tension and therefore not prone to cyclic degradation--Nomex or Balsa
core would not likely make any difference in performance or longevity.  On  the
other hand, the deck, which is under serious compression loading from  rig
tensions (nearly 300 lbs each on the primaries, 350 lbs each on the lowers,
240
lbs on the forestay and 100 lbs each on the caps--this while setting on  the
shore ready to sail) is very prone to cyclic degradation.  While  the ISSA may
be persuaded to accept Nomex or balsa cored hulls, I would hope  that we'll
always resist the temptation to ever accept any other deck  material.

The final point I would make is that last year we had 3 or four  Swifts
sailing and currently we have 14.  By the end of this summer  we'll have 29
boats
sailing in North America and possibly 5 in 3 other  countries (this is from 67
people in 11 countries who have paid the  $595 to buy the plans).  We suspect
that this 25 boat increase in a  single year will make The Swift Solo the
fastest growing high-performance  class in North America.  We also think that
the
exposure we'll get  from having this many Swifts on the water will
significantly impact our growth  during 2006.  The RS 700 is all composite,
half the
price of the  Swift, been available for twice as long and has one or two
serious
sailors in the US.  The Musto is also all composite, been  around for several
years and is in about the same state.

If we achieve nothing else, we are determined that 10 year old Swifts will
be as fast as new Swifts (assuming they have reasonably new sails).  Some
505's built in 1979 to 1983 achieved top performance for 18  years.  The
Thistles
built in the 50's using the W.W.II military  autoclaves are still hot boats
today even though it is illegal to build new ones  using wood core because of
the perverted "expense argument".  This  will require some reeducation for
sure.
 Do realize that college  kids are not our market.  Most Swift Solo sailors
are over 30 years  old, raced dinghies when they were kids, bought or raced
keel boats, and  have realized that the big boats are providing far less fun.
This is likely to remain the meat of our market.

I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.  If we can get you  out on
Friday for a couple of hours, I'd be glad to provide you a Swift for  the
following weekend at Shilshole?

PS  Olympic gold medalist and world champion Carl Buchan is building a  new
keel boat.  He is using Cedar core and S-glass (unfortunately, they are
covering it with two part linear so it looks like any other gel coat  boat).
What
many people don't know is that Carl's dad Bill is also an  Olympic gold
medalist and world champion and that together they run the premier,  high
quality
home building business in the Northwest.  Owning a "Buchan  home" is owning a
Rolex.