Re: response to an importan question from Bob Lewis regarding alternativ

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: response to an importan question from Bob Lewis regarding alternative composites
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:11:25 -0600
My pennies worth.

As a home builder I prefer the current construction because it enables me to have a fair chance of constructing a competitive Swift. If we change to lighter molded boats, I will not be able to compete any longer. The hull and deck were the least of my costs. I spent far more on rigging and sails. I agree that the longevity of a boat is very important. One of the things that has kept me out of the dinghy classes for some time is the much higher cost of having to purchase a new hull each season to stay competitive. I may never reach the ability of many of the other Swift sailors but at least I have a boat that does not preclude me from having a chance.

Take it for what it's worth.