Re: response to an importan question from Bob Lewis regarding alternativ

To: "Bill Green" <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: response to an importan question from Bob Lewis regarding alternative composites
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:58:42 -0600
I think you over estimate the time required to build a boat. Though this is my fourth strip built boat, I was able to be on the water in one year. The main reason for it taking one year was the time spent waiting for this part and that part. With the work of Roger and Greg, more/better custom parts are becoming available all of the time. I had the hull and deck together in four months only working an hour or two some nights and week-ends. You just have to make sure that you have a big chunk of time when you do the epoxy/glass/carbon work.

Since the boat is encased in plastic, there is not neerly as much wood work maintenance as you think. I have a canoe that I built five years ago and I have only re varnished it once due to rocks and letting it sit in the sun. Cover the boat and I think you should get five years with a good spar varnish. Even a platic boat will show age if you leave it sitting in the sun for five years. Spar varnish is easier to update than gelcoat.