Re: Photos of the Swift for auction

To: <WFS03@xxxxxxx>,<rowr@xxxxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Photos of the Swift for auction
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:36:09 -0400
  From: WFS03@xxxxxxx
  To: gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx ; rowr@xxxxxxxxx ; swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 9:10 PM

  Greg,
  You raised some excellent questions regarding the purchase of a partially
completed Swift.  I encountered many of the same issues when purchasing the
hull for USA020 from Tom and Felix.  Even though I ran into some construction
mistakes, they were fixable and a great learning experience that will help me
improve on USA040.  If I had it to do again, I would still take the same
approach.  CAN062 is much further along than USA020 was, but whoever wins the
bid, will still have the satisfaction of completing the rigging and foils and
learn how to replace them if they break.  Having just completed the rudder,
cassette and CB, it feels like my skiff is finally coming together.

  Regarding the internal photos of the hull, I used a Canon Power Shot Elf
Digital with a 6 foot USB extension cable and the Canon RemoteCapture software
running on my laptop.  The RemoteCapture app allows you to set the camera in
place with the USB cable running thru the drain holes and out the access port,
lower the deck onto the hull, control the shutter and depth of field.  The AF
and AE take great digital photos with the built-in flash.  I positioned the
camera in various positions to see the fit at the soldiers and bulkheads.  In
macro mode, I could get some real close-up pictures of my mistakes...  I
recommend to everyone to try this approach, as it helps with the fitting
process.

  Bill Scheumann
  USA020 and USA040
  Barrington, RI